Eggplant Sausage Pasta
• 1 large eggplant, cut into 1-inch pieces
• 1 tablespoon salt
• 7 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 3/4 pounds spicy Italian sausages, cut up
• 1 pound cherry tomatoes, halved
• 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
• 1 1/2 serrano chilies, seeded, finely chopped (about 1 tablespoon)
• 1 1/4 cups canned low-salt chicken broth
• 2/3 cup whipping cream
• 1 pound cavatapi or penne pasta
• 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
• 1 cup (lightly packed) fresh basil leaves, torn into 1/2-inch pieces
• 2/3 cup pine nuts, toasted
• Additional grated Parmesan cheese
Toss eggplant with 1 tablespoon salt in large colander. Place over bowl and let stand 30 minutes.
Heat 3 tablespoons oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, add eggplant; saute until golden, about 5 minutes. Transfer to bowl. (Can be made 8 hours ahead. Cover; chill.)
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook meat until brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer meat to plate.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in same skillet over medium-high heat. Add tomatoes, garlic and chilies; sauté until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add sausage, broth and cream. Simmer until sausage is cooked through, about 5 minutes. Add eggplant and simmer 1 minute.
Meanwhile, cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to bite. Drain. Transfer to large bowl.
Toss pasta with sauce and 1 cup Parmesan cheese. Mix in basil and pine nuts. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve pasta, passing additional Parmesan cheese separately
Subscribe to our weekly Newsletter to get info about the weekly produce and fabulous new recipes.