Turns out we rocked the fennel this year! These are big, beautiful bulbs. So here's the fennel challenge - try 2 recipes this week that include fennel. Google it and see what interests you. In my newsletter I included 6 ideas, here's one of the recipes that uses bocconcini as well - which we are selling this week on Tuesday. Looking forward to hearing about your fennel adventures!
Ingredients 2 to 3 Servings
I think there would be a lot of agreement when I say that eating our tomatoes in summer is a highlight - an amazing taste experience really. The different varieties are all worth a try and have unique flavours and sweetness variation. Our greenhouse here at Kingfisher has been producing a great crop of tomatoes this season but our greenhouses at A Rocha have suffered this year. Because of that we are struggling to supply enough of these amazing tomatoes to you. I'm interested in getting Certified Organic Roma and field tomatoes from Cawston BC brought in next week. The same people that bring us the high-quality fruit are willing to come down with tomatoes.
That's how it is with farming. Some years we have a bumper crop of beans and we're all canning beans; some years the slugs eat them all. We try to take what comes with steadiness, do the work we can and plan to make improvements for next season. Amidst all the abundance Paul and I continue to remind ourselves that we are finite, the hours in the day are finite, and whatever each day held is ENOUGH. We continue to realign our values, hang out with our family, sit down over drinks with friends, and work hard in the daylight hours. Peace to you in whatever these days hold for you - and much joy in the eating of tomatoes!
Thanks for this photo from 2019 @ourlittlechaos
Eggplant Sausage Pasta
• 1 large eggplant, cut into 1-inch pieces
• 1 tablespoon salt
• 7 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 3/4 pounds spicy Italian sausages, cut up
• 1 pound cherry tomatoes, halved
• 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
• 1 1/2 serrano chilies, seeded, finely chopped (about 1 tablespoon)
• 1 1/4 cups canned low-salt chicken broth
• 2/3 cup whipping cream
• 1 pound cavatapi or penne pasta
• 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
• 1 cup (lightly packed) fresh basil leaves, torn into 1/2-inch pieces
• 2/3 cup pine nuts, toasted
• Additional grated Parmesan cheese
Toss eggplant with 1 tablespoon salt in large colander. Place over bowl and let stand 30 minutes.
Heat 3 tablespoons oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, add eggplant; saute until golden, about 5 minutes. Transfer to bowl. (Can be made 8 hours ahead. Cover; chill.)
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook meat until brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer meat to plate.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in same skillet over medium-high heat. Add tomatoes, garlic and chilies; sauté until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add sausage, broth and cream. Simmer until sausage is cooked through, about 5 minutes. Add eggplant and simmer 1 minute.
Meanwhile, cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to bite. Drain. Transfer to large bowl.
Toss pasta with sauce and 1 cup Parmesan cheese. Mix in basil and pine nuts. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve pasta, passing additional Parmesan cheese separately
Much abundance to be eaten these days on the farm. Here's a recipe to help use all those wonderful field cukes.
Recipe: Tzatziki - Cucumber Yogurt Dip
• 3 tbsp. olive oil
• 1 tbsp. vinegar
• 2 cloves garlic, minced finely
• 1/2 tsp. salt
• 1/4 tsp. pepper
• 1 cup plain yogurt (for thicker tzatziki, strain the yogurt)
• 1 cup sour cream
• 2 cucumbers, peeled, seeded and diced
• 1 tsp. chopped fresh dill
1. Combine olive oil, vinegar, garlic, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Mix until well combined and set aside.
2. Using a whisk, blend the yogurt with the sour cream.
3. Add the olive oil mixture to the yogurt mixture and mix well.
4. Add the cucumber and chopped fresh dill.
5. Chill for at least two hours before serving.
Yields 4-5 cups
Subscribe to our weekly Newsletter to get info about the weekly produce and fabulous new recipes.